Travel Insurance is vital for all travellers as without this insurance you are personally liable for any medical and travel associated costs that may arise during your holiday overseas.
Important points to keep in mind when organising travel insurance:
- Check whether your travel insurance covers all medical expenses for injury or illness including air evacuation, loss or theft of valuables, loss of or damage to baggage and cancellations or interruptions to flight schedules, last minute cancellations to your holiday, emergency repatriation and personal liability to mention a few important circumstances.
- Read the fine print and ask your travel insurance company questions if something in the disclosure or information provided is not clear before you decide including the value you are covered for in various situations.
- Shop around for the best comprehensive travel insurance available, one that offers you value for money as there are different insurance packages and levels of cover. Keep in mind that it’s usually difficult to purchase travel insurance once you have boarded you flight, so make sure you do so before you leave.
- Choose a reputed travel insurer and check if they offer 24/7 assistance.
- Make a note of your travel insurance details and relevant contact numbers and carry them along with the rest of your travel documentation. Keep a copy of these documents back home with your family as a back-up.
- Check in advance whether your insurance policy will pay doctors and hospitals directly or reimburse you later (keep all documentation for your claim).
- If you plan to hire a motorcycle in India, make sure the rental policy includes at least third-party insurance.
- If you are especially embarking on an adventurous high activity tour, confirm that your policy covers potentially dangerous activities such as scuba diving, skiing, motorcycling, paragliding, trekking and any other such activity that you may be undertaking.
- You must obtain a police report in India if any of your personal effects are stolen, insurance companies may refuse to reimburse you if you do not have a report. Check with your insurer for the process of submitting a claim and the documents required to do so.
- Accidents caused and injury sustained due to alcohol and/or drug abuse may invalidate your claims, so be careful especially for your own safety, also to avoid being penalized.
Disclaimer: The information provided in this section may not be current or up-to-date and may not cover all circumstances. It is the traveller’s responsibility to conduct their own research to obtain relevant current and up-to-date information for travel insurance.
Classique Getaways will not assume any responsible for any decisions you may take based on the information provided on this page. Our intent is just to provide you with a starting point for your ongoing research.